YONKERS, NY — Parishioners of the second oldest stone church in New York State celebrated two milestones on Saturday, Nov. 12. That morning, a special mass marked the culmination of a seven-figure restoration of St. John’s Episcopal Church, and the installation of the church’s new priest-in-charge, the Rev. Dr. Victoria Sirota. The church was constructed in 1752, then enlarged in 1872. The parish was established in 1693. In October 2015, Yonkers firefighters prevented a fire in an adjacent commercial building from spreading to the church, which sustained smoke and water damage. Sirota arrived at St. John’s this past June, replacing Fr. John Hamilton, who returned to his home state of Mississippi. Known as Mother Vicki, she had been the canon pastor at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in Manhattan.
Tim Lamorte is an award-winning journalist who has spent almost two decades documenting life along the Hudson River.